Chippokes Plantation State Park is situated on 1,946 acres of land located on the southern shore of the James River west of Lower Chippokes Creek. The park is located across the river from Jamestown Island which is the first permanent English settlement in America. Since the establishment of Chippokes in 1619 the land has been continuously farmed making it one of the oldest plantations in America. Today, 19th and 20th century buildings tell the story of early plantation life in rural America. Chippokes Plantation is listed on the National Register for Historic Places.In 2004, the 262-acre Walnut Valley Farm was given to Chippokes by Mrs. Lucy F. Reasor in memory of her husband. The farm contains a house dating to 1785 with several dependencies and barns.The main entrance to Chippokes is accessible from Alliance road which is off of Route 10 in Surry County.